Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting service involves stockpiling and/or sharing given content on a hosting server run by a web hosting distributor. There are various categories of hosting services utilized for various aims, so let's have a peek at these. Doing so, you can choose what you need, based on whether you desire to have a web site, email aliases, or to share files with chums and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution provided by particular providers, which allows you to share immense files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole designation is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting packages frequently include ads beside the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a given amount of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you have a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the help of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is an entirely erroneous explanation of the actual definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would distribute the workload between individual packs of servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving miscellaneous webspace hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, web hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a kind of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; some vendors offer a hosting solution for images only. This hosting brand is appropriate if you wish to share an immense amount of pictures with chums or associates since the service is generally free of charge. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a service dedicated to tackling your email mailbox accounts. Some distributors provide web site hosting solutions for web sites, but do not supply an e-mail service. If you want to have an email address with your domain name but do not desire to have a website, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can open e-mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a given video file, or you can embed the video clip in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this method in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video generates a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of video files and a few hundred site viewers, you may have trouble with your web site hosting supplies. Embedding the video will permit you to own as many video files as you want to without bothering about system quotas.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you require if you want to run a site. To some extent, it embodies all of the abovementioned hosting groups since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can create databases and mailbox accounts, upload video files, etc. At Webgear Hosting, for example, you can take a gaze at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting services that permit you to get all of the aforesaid solutions in one location. There may be restrictions depending on the sort of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web hosting account may be better or worse in comparison with the conventional email/file/video/image hosting packages that are devised for specific content exclusively.